Safeguarding at St. Mary's
We take safeguarding serioiusly. Our church is a safe place for children, for the elderly, for the distressed. We don't simply do the bare minimum to comply with the law in this regard, we seek to go further. Christians are called to be beyond reproach, and this is our aim.
Safeguarding covers all those who would be classed as 'vulnerable' or more prone to abuse. This usually means children and particularly vulnerable adults, but at various times in life all kinds of people can become vulnerable. At St. Mary's all our children's workers are DBS checked (Disclosure and Barring Service), as are all our PCC members, all staff (including the vicar and youth worker) and everyone who takes a lead in looking after the elderly or otherwise vulnerable. We operate policies that seek to make sure everyone feels safe and is safe.
If there is a safeguarding concern, people are directed to contact our safeguarding officer Sally Jarvis on email@example.com.
If the concern is regarding the safeguarding officer, they are encouraged to contact the diocese of Derby directly, who will then advise on the best way forward. Derby Diocese Safeguarding.
You might also value this list of helpful phone numbers:
- Action on Elder Abuse Helpline: 080 8808 8141 (free phone Monday to Friday 9-5pm)
- Child-line: 0800 1111 (lines free and open 24 hours). Phone if you are a child or young person and are worried about anything
- Cruse: 0800 808 1677 bereavement helpline
- MACSAS: Minister and Clergy Sexual Abuse Survivors. 0808 801 0340 support for those abused by ministers, clergy or others under the guise of the church
- NSPCC Child Protection Helpline: 0808 800 5000 (lines free and open 24 hours). Phone if you are worried about a child.
- National Domestic Violence Helpline: 0808 2000 247 (lines free and open 24 hours). Phone if you are experiencing domestic abuse.
- NAPAC: National Association for People Abused in Childhood. 0808 801 0331. Support for adults abused as children
- Samaritans Helpline: 08457 90 90 90 (open 24 hours). Phone if you feel you are struggling to cope and need someone to talk to.
- Stop It Now: 0808 1000 900 preventing child sexual abuse
- Survivors Trust: 01788 550554. Support for men who have experienced sexual assault or rape